NPR Music’s Tiny Desk is celebrating Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. These artists symbolize only a sliver of the cultural variety that exists throughout the Asian American and Pacific Islander neighborhood.
NIKI, a.okay.a. Nicole Zefanya, took a circuitous path to the Tiny Desk. Born in Jakarta, she scored a serious alternative by successful a contest at 15 to open for Taylor Swift when her Crimson Tour took her to Indonesia. After transferring to Nashville and constructing a following as a YouTuber, NIKI launched two EPs and an album (Moonchild), then moved to L.A. and landed her tune “Each Summertime” on the soundtrack to the Marvel blockbuster Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: The Album. Our personal Bobby Carter heard that observe and fell in love, and shortly sufficient, NIKI and her band have been breaking within the newest instrument in our in-house Tiny Desk assortment: a light-blue toy piano.
That li’l piano figures prominently in “Backburner,” the tune that opens NIKI’s Tiny Desk debut, however these songs additionally mirror a extra severe facet. “The House We Will not Share,” which the singer says “type of laments the lack of an unlived life with anyone,” remembers the weightier reflections of Taylor Swift, whereas “Earlier than” tells the specific-but-relatable story of a long-distance love that falls aside earlier than it might get enjoyable. However NIKI closes her set on a breezy word, as she and her band swim in sleekly soulful, ’70s-singer-songwriter vibes all through “Each Summertime.” The story of a love that grows and evolves with every passing summer season, it had Bobby and the remainder of us swaying, swooning and swimming in excessive hopes for the weeks and months to return.
- “The House We Will not Share”
- “Earlier than”
- “Each Summertime”
- NIKI: vocals, piano, guitar
- Jacob Ray: percussion, results, guitar, vocals, music director
- Kim Vi: keys, guitar, vocals
- Edison Lo: bass, vocals
- Fer Fuentes: drums
- Andrea Ferrero: guitar, toy piano, vocals
- Desiree Hazley: violin, vocals
TINY DESK TEAM
- Producer: Bobby Carter
- Director/Editor: Maia Stern
- Audio Engineer: Josh Rogosin
- Inventive Director: Bob Boilen
- Videographers: Maia Stern, Joshua Bryant, Sofia Seidel, Alanté Serene
- Audio Assistant: Hannah Gluvna
- Photographer: Elizabeth Gillis
- Tiny Desk Crew: Suraya Mohamed, Kara Body, Hazel Cills, Ashley Pointer
- VP, Visuals and Music: Keith Jenkins
- Senior VP, Programming: Anya Grundmann