Visiting London for the primary time? Right here’s the right 2-3 day weekend in London itinerary.
London has been calling us (from their purple cellphone cubicles) for a while now. So, we packed our baggage to take a look at one UK’s oldest cities for an extended weekend. From Large Ben to Westminster Abbey, London’s historic points of interest are countless, and there’s all the time one thing to see, do, and eat.
An enormous thanks to Go Metropolis Go for sponsoring this put up. All opinions are all the time our personal. This put up could include affiliate hyperlinks, the place we obtain a small fee on gross sales of the merchandise which are linked at no further price to you. Learn our full disclosure for more information. Thanks for supporting the manufacturers that make Native Adventurer potential.
Final Up to date: June 2, 2023
11 Greatest Issues to Do in London for Your First Go to
With the Go Metropolis London Go, we had the chance to take a look at a number of well-liked points of interest, in addition to another factors of curiosity that had been really helpful to us by the Go Metropolis staff.
We organized our days primarily based on space. Right here are some things you shouldn’t miss when visiting London.
weekend in London itinerary Day 1
For our 3 day weekend in London, we picked what to do every day primarily based on what was close by in every space.
1. Take a Image with Large Ben
London SW1A 0AA, UK, map
Talking of icons, everybody is aware of what Large Ben is, even for those who’ve by no means been to London. Although it’s at the moment closed for renovations and restorations, you’ll be able to nonetheless cease by and snap a fast picture with Large Ben. The Homes of Parliament, a UNESCO World Heritage Website, is connected to the clock tower. It’s at the moment nonetheless open for excursions.
It’s a 10-minute stroll from Westminster Abbey if you wish to knock out a few locations concurrently.
Native Tip: Greatest picture spot is beneath Westminster Bridge, which leads proper as much as Large Ben. Arrive earlier than dawn to keep away from the crowds.
2. Westminster Abbey
Dean’s Yard, London SW1P 3PA, UK, map
Westminster Abbey was our favourite attraction, arms down. It’s steeped in centuries of historical past and has considerably formed the British monarchy, faith, and tradition. It has been the location of quite a few royal weddings, coronations, and burials, together with that of British monarchs and different notable figures all through historical past.
We loved the self-guided audio tour, which gives guests with detailed details about the location’s historical past, structure, and notable options. Try key areas, such because the Poets’ Nook, the Coronation Chair, and the Royal Tombs.
Native Tip: Entry is free for those who’re attending Sunday service, however they don’t present excursions throughout this time.
3. Buckingham Palace
London SW1A 1AA, UK, map
It’s an extended stroll to Buckingham Palace from Westminster Abbey, however you’ll be able to stroll by way of Hyde Park on the best way. Buckingham Palace attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists yearly and holds countless cultural and symbolic significance. It’s a must-visit vacation spot for vacationers from around the globe. Try the Altering of the Guard ceremony and admire the architectural splendor.
To get the very best image of Buckingham Palace, you’ll be able to head to the Victoria Memorial, positioned in entrance of the palace. It presents an excellent vantage level for capturing the grandeur of the palace’s façade.
Native Tip: The Altering of the Guard ceremony sometimes happens every day in the course of the summer time months (April to July) and on alternate days for the remainder of the yr. Make sure you verify the official web site for probably the most up-to-date schedule. The ceremony normally begins at round 11:00 AM and lasts roughly 45 minutes. Arrive early to safe viewing spot!
4. Kensington Palace
Kensington Gardens, London W8 4PX, UK, map
Glimmering golden gates, opulent State Rooms, and tales of Queen Victoria’s birthplace are just some issues you’ll be able to’t miss at Kensington Palace. Don’t miss your probability to go to the historic King’s State Residences and the Queen’s State Residences.
They’ve been meticulously restored to their former glory, offering a glimpse into the luxurious existence of previous monarchs. The historic Sunken Backyard, the place Diana, the Princess of Wales Memorial Statue stands, can also’t be missed.
Professional Tip: Get there early to keep away from large crowds, particularly on weekend days. We made reservations to tour the palace when it opened.
weekend in London itinerary Day 2
We began day 2 of our lengthy weekend in London at Tower Bridge. After the bridge, we checked out the Tower of London at one finish of the bridge and Borough Market on the different finish. Lastly, we ended the day with a Thames River Cruise.
5. Tower Bridge
Tower Bridge Rd, London SE1 2UP, UK,map
We relished the hike up the 206 steps and the magnificent views of the River Thames. Tower Bridge is such an iconic image of London. When you attain the highest, stroll throughout the glass ground walkways the place you’ll be able to seize nice photographs of London’s skyline and be taught concerning the engineers who designed the historic construction.
Naturally, we wished to get some pictures with the bridge. Listed here are a few our favourite picture spots:
- The Queens Stroll is the most well-liked place to take photographs with the Tower Bridge as your backdrop.
- Extra London Riverside – this metropolitan space will get crowded, so go early morning for those who don’t need anybody else in your photographs.
Native Tip: Plan to go to the Tower of London because it’s close by.
6. Tower of London
London EC3N 4AB, UK,map
See the Crown Jewels on the Tower of London, a 900-year-old fortress and fortress. It was fairly neat to see the crowns, scepters, orbs, and different regalia utilized in royal ceremonies by the monarchs.
Professional Tip: Think about becoming a member of one of many Yeoman Warder guided excursions, which your admission contains. Their educated guides share fascinating tales concerning the Tower’s historical past.
7. Borough Market
London SE1 9AL, UK, map
The place your entire gastronomic desires develop into a actuality, from farm-fresh produce to yummy avenue meals, your style buds will rejoice after consuming by way of one in all London’s oldest markets. We liked the freshly shucked oysters at Richard Haward Oysters and the piping scorching paella from Bomba. I wished to hold a complete cheese wheel from Kappacasein.
Native Tip: Most meals stalls are open air, so gown accordingly.
8. Thames River Cruise
Westminster Pier, London SW1A 2JH, United Kingdom, map
Embark on a Thames River Cruise with Metropolis Cruises of London and immerse your self within the magnificence and historical past of the town from a novel perspective. We liked the panoramic views of London’s famend landmarks, reminiscent of Tower Bridge and the long-lasting Large Ben. All through the cruise, educated guides present enjoyable information and tales concerning the landmarks you go alongside the best way.
Metropolis Cruises presents quite a lot of cruise choices to fit your preferences. If in case you have extra time, take into account partaking in a day tea or romantic dinner cruise.
Professional Tip: Attempt to safe a seat on the open-air deck for the very best picture opps and unobstructed views.
Weekend in London itinerary Day 3
As a result of it’s a trek to get out to Watford, you need to plan for a pickup and transportation. You’ll spend half the day right here. We returned to London, did some procuring, and ended the lengthy day with scrumptious meals and desserts in London’s Chinatown.
9. Warner Brothers Studio Tour
Studio Tour Dr, Leavesden, Watford WD25 7LR, United Kingdom, map
The Harry Potter Warner Bros. Studio Tour presents a fascinating and immersive expertise for followers of the Wizarding World. Step onto precise movie units and see behind-the-scenes secrets and techniques on how they created the long-lasting movie collection. The detailed costumes, unique movie units, and interactive reveals completely blew us away.
Their meals courtroom serves up movie favorites (suppose Butter Beer, Hogwarts-themed burgers, and chocolate frogs) and afternoon tea. Try the very in depth store the place you should buy a custom-made wand in your means out. You’ll simply spend half a day right here!
Professional Tip: Make sure you guide early prematurely since they solely promote a restricted variety of tickets every day. Don’t neglect to schedule ample time for journey because it’s not in Central London.
10. Test Out Iconic Purchasing
87-135 Brompton Rd, London SW1X 7XL, UK, map
London is famend for its quintessential procuring streets that supply a variety of trend, luxurious manufacturers, shops, and distinctive boutiques. Listed here are a few of the most well-known procuring streets in London:
- Oxford Avenue: Positioned within the coronary heart of London, Oxford Avenue is likely one of the busiest procuring streets on the earth. It stretches over a mile and is house to quite a few flagship shops.
- Regent Avenue: Only a quick stroll from Oxford Avenue, Regent Avenue is thought for its historic structure and a mixture of upscale boutiques and shops.
- Bond Avenue: Bond Avenue is synonymous with luxurious procuring in London. This unique avenue is house to high-end trend boutiques, prestigious jewellery shops, and famend artwork galleries.
- Harrods on Brompton Street: Sluggish clap A London procuring icon. Even for those who’re simply window procuring at this historic division retailer, we advocate shopping for a scrumptious pastry from one in all their many cafes.
Native Tip: Make the most of the well-known Christmas mild shows that enhance these streets in the course of the holidays.
11. Eat Round Chinatown
Gerrard Pl, London W1D 5QJ, UK, map
I might transfer to London’s Chinatown for the meals! Fortunately (or not), our lodge was simply a few metro stops away from Chinatown, and we ate there each day of our journey.
Make sure you get genuine soup dumplings from Dumplings’ Legend, contemporary pineapple buns from The Eight, and Peking duck from The Duck and Rice. Wash all the pieces down with a chilly bubble tea at my all-time boba store, Comfortable Lemon.
Native Tip: Enterprise past the primary streets and discover the aspect alleys, retailers, and hidden gems. These lesser-known eating places present a novel eating expertise away from the crowds and serve genuine Chinese language meals.
Map of the Greatest Issues to Do in London
Extra Issues to Do in London
If we deliberate for extra time, I want we received to go to neighborhoods like Notting Hill and Cambridge in addition to these items to do in London.
- Have Conventional Afternoon Tea
- British Museum
- Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre
- The London Eye
- St. Paul’s Cathedral
- The Beatles Museum (Liverpool)
- The Seven Stars, London’s Oldest Pub
Greatest Locations to Eat in London
Listed here are a number of locations we tried and liked:
- Dishoom (Numerous Areas) $$ – At dinner, a restricted variety of reservations can be found for events of six or extra company. You’ll most probably be ready in an extended line, so put together prematurely. If you happen to’re fortunate, they’ll serve you a few of their well-known chai whilst you wait.
Haidilao Scorching Pot $$ – Josh isn’t the largest fan of scorching pot, however he claims Haidilao is the very best he’s ever had. We don’t have a location at house, so this place was past our expectations. Additionally they present snacks and drinks within the ready space. Come hungry.
- Cafe TPT $ – Recognized for genuine Hong Kong avenue meals reminiscent of beef ho enjoyable and minced pork scorching pot. If you happen to’re feeling adventurous, we advocate the lemongrass soft-shell crab.
- Evelyn’s Desk $$ – A Michelin-star restaurant led by Head Chef James Goodyear. Assume intimate tasting menu with 18th-century pub vibes.
Greatest Locations to Keep in London
- E book what you need to do prematurely. As a result of London is such a preferred vacation spot for thus many, we missed out on some issues, like Afternoon Tea, as a result of they had been already totally booked.
- You don’t must tip right here, like most nations outdoors the US, however for those who really feel inclined, you’ll be able to spherical as much as the closest Pound or tip 10-12% of your invoice whole.
- Buy the London Go for the metro system, bus, and extra. You may also use your faucet to pay worldwide bank card and pay as you go, however it can cap off at round £8 per day. See extra particulars right here.
- All the time put on layers, pack an umbrella or raincoat, and put on cozy footwear. You’ll be strolling loads. London is thought for its wet and cloudy climate.
- The UK makes use of a kind G plug for many home equipment, so deliver a common adapter to your electronics.
- Be aware of the site visitors move as drivers within the UK drive on the left aspect. Train warning and take note of the indicators at crosswalks and bus stops.
- Pickpockets are frequent in London, particularly in crowded areas, vacationer spots, and on public transportation. Test your environment and keep away from distractions like utilizing your cellphone excessively or sporting headphones that may restrict your consciousness.
- Get a Go Metropolis London Go to take a look at a number of points of interest. The go provides you entry to over 90 well-liked points of interest, together with a number of on our record, at a fraction of the associated fee.
Which of these items to do in London are in your journey bucket record? Anything you’d add to a weekend in London itinerary?
Did you get pleasure from this put up? Pin it for later
SEE Extra Metropolis Bucket Lists
“Discovery consists not of in search of new lands however in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
Josh + Macy
Josh and Macy are artistic southern children who love exploring native and worldwide cultures. They’ve lengthy believed that touring is about getting out of your consolation zone and making an attempt new issues. They’re at the moment primarily based out of Atlanta.