Readers had an incredible dialog the opposite day about non-desk jobs, so we thought we’d accumulate all of their recommendation into one place. Curious what non-desk jobs are on the market, or find out how to get right into a profession area the place you aren’t chained to a desk all day? This submit is for you.
First, right here was the query that sparked the dialogue:
As I sit chained to my desk for occurring 8 years, I typically daydream about having a job that isn’t a desk job. It’s by no means a selected job in my daydreams although, as a result of I’ve no need to enter the medical area or be a policewoman, firefighter, plumber, and so forth (what all these “non desk job” lists include). Who right here has an interesting non desk job? Or is aware of somebody who does? How did you/they get into it?
Readers got here up with a TON of nice concepts, so we thought we’d spherical them up. Some individuals who HOLD non-desk jobs weighed in, whereas others knew individuals who had been in particular non-desk careers (akin to forrestry)!
Have you ever ever thought-about non-desk jobs? What are your greatest tips about find out how to get a fantastic non-desk job?
The best way to Discover a Nice Non-Desk Job
Artsy Non-Desk Jobs
One reader famous that you can be an “[a]rtist, seamstress, clothes designer, inside decorator, dietitian… something the place you go to purchasers’ houses or workplaces!”
Jeweler. However, the reader who advised this famous, “I’m obsessive about jewellery, particularly pearls and semiprecious gem stones. Tremendous fascinated by lab created valuable stones as properly.”
Stage supervisor. One reader famous, “In my fantasy life, I’m a stage supervisor for stay theater (like performs or musicals, not rock exhibits).”
Museum jobs. Not fairly an artsy job, however in an identical vein, one reader famous that her favourite job working at a museum, “particularly on the ground interacting with visitors. Pay was absolute sh!t however I beloved it.”
Occasion Administration/Coordination. (I’ve truly heard these are nice jobs for former theater managers!) As one reader famous, when you’re on the occasion you’re working round caring for all the pieces, however there’s a whole lot of hands-on prep work, akin to “scoping out the occasion area, assembly with distributors, and so forth. There are firms that do that full time and a number of other massive firms have a full in-house occasions group. Likewise, many customer expertise jobs are basically occasion administration jobs in-house for a venue (NFL stadium, museum, live performance venue).”
Instructing Non-Desk Jobs
One reader got here up with a ton of nice concepts, together with instructing. “Whereas there’s a whole lot of prep work, grading, remark writing, and college conferences, the time you’re bodily instructing is just not at at desk. It’s after all grade and topic dependent, however instructing a science class with a lab element could be arms on, as would instructing elementary schoolers.”
Readers additionally famous that daycare/preschool academics ought to be included in addition to Okay-12 academics!
Non-Desk Jobs That Are Not Docs (However Are Medication-Adjoining)
One reader got here up with a bunch of nice concepts for medicine-adjacent non-desk jobs:
– Therapists akin to specialists in bodily remedy, occupational remedy, or speech remedy. Readers famous, “I’ve pals who’re all 3 and they’re all so pleased with their careers. You are able to do these jobs in so many alternative settings. For instance, I’ve two pals who’re OTs. One works in a hospital with sufferers recovering from survey whereas one other works with toddlers and younger kids of their houses and colleges solely.” (Be aware that you could be want a BS to pursue this path — I had one buddy who had a BA in performing and determined to not pursue occupational remedy as a result of she would have wanted to principally redo her total faculty training.)
– Medical system gross sales. One reader famous, ” I’ve just a few pals in medical system gross sales and so they all find it irresistible and make actually nice cash. They’re totally on web site at hospitals after which somewhat WFH for the admin a part of the job.”
– Medical analysis coordinators and lab scientists. One reader famous: “Undecided what your background is and/or should you’re keen to return to high school, however I’ve a number of pals who work in labs doing various things (don’t ask me what) or as scientific analysis coordinators that appear to be desk and non-desk. Likewise, some engineering jobs are all desk work and a few engineering jobs are very arms on and a few fall in between.”
Non-Desk Jobs Exterior
Forestry. One reader famous, “My ex husband was a forester. He labored for a state forestry fee. Obtained into it by going to forestry faculty.”
One other reader advised working for a public lands company or turning into a backcountry information. “I had non-desk jobs within the first decade of my working life, although it’s been nearly a decade of desk jobs now. They had been largely within the hospitality / out of doors training / environmental consciousness area. My pals who nonetheless work in that space typically are some kind of backcountry information or work for a public lands company.”
One more reader famous that she’d like to get right into a wilderness search and rescue with a canine group.
“Skilled” Non-Desk Jobs
One other reader got here up with a whole lot of nice concepts for non-desk jobs that had been in corporate-adjacent fields:
– Business pilot. Readers famous you could be a industrial pilot till you might be 65 — and there may be speak that age could enhance because of the general pilot scarcity.
– Company coaching. There are a ton of company coaching jobs on the market, together with orientation, onboarding, technical abilities coaching, administration coaching, DEI coaching, and extra. One reader famous that:
should you like the concept of instructing however don’t wish to work with children or in a faculty, there are many company and authorities coaching groups. My first job in my area was working for a big emergency administration company on their coaching group. We didn’t do onboarding or orientation (that was all HR) however we did coaching on completely different emergency conditions for our workers and workers from associate companies. I used to be the coordinator, so I didn’t develop or give the trainings, but it surely was a fantastic group.
– Authorities jobs with group engagement roles. One reader famous, “There are a whole lot of authorities jobs that contain working with the general public / group engagement roles. Clearly, that’s not everybody’s cup of tea however there’s a group of three in my present workplace who do it and so they appear comfortable.”
– Lobbyist. Loads of desk time, however plenty of going locations: conferences with lawmaker workers, conferences with purchasers/coalitions/stakeholders, fundraising occasions. (Fundraisers are typically fancy such as you think about them; different occasions it’s consuming a stale danish at 7:30 am in a cramped restaurant occasion room.)
One reader chimed in together with her expertise in native authorities emergency administration:
I’m an area authorities emergency supervisor. I’ve loads of desk work: common admin work, writing reviews, emails and cellphone calls with companions and distributors, managing grants and distributors, writing plans. Nevertheless, there are a whole lot of conferences, trainings, group engagement work, logistics work, and naturally, emergency response. Emergency administration is just not for everybody (and I’m at present extremely burnt out), but it surely’s general a fantastic match for me.
Why Non-Desk Jobs Might Not Be a Good Match For You
One reader added a giant caveat to non-desk jobs: “One factor I’ve discovered about non-desk jobs is that the majority of them require in-person work all or the vast majority of the time. So, should you worth distant or hybrid work then these jobs will not be probably match.”
One other reader advised staying away from analyst positions if you’d like a non-desk job. “At an outdated job of mine we had an analyst who just about stayed at her desk and made dashboards, trackers, maps whereas others received to go do “cool” issues.”
One more reader had a fantastic quip that defined why she selected her desk job: “I really feel prefer it’s both cope with the general public, be good at math, or have a desk job. I can’t do the primary two, so I settled for a desk job.”
Readers, what are your ideas? Have you ever ever thought-about non-desk jobs? What are your greatest tips about find out how to get a fantastic non-desk job?
Inventory photograph through Deposit Photographs / deniskalinichenko.