This web site might comprise affiliate hyperlinks and promoting in order that we are able to present recipes to you. Learn my privateness coverage.
Mumbo sauce is sort of a dreamy mixture of barbecue and candy and bitter sauce. It’s tangy and savory with a glaze-like texture that’s great for coating hen wings!
I really like making home made sauces as a result of you will have full management over how they style. After this tangy mumbo sauce, you’ll should attempt increase increase sauce, comeback sauce, and candy chili sauce!
DC Mumbo Sauce Recipe
Mumbo sauce, often known as mambo sauce, is a tangy and savory condiment from Washington, D.C and Chicago. It’s truly been round for the reason that Nineteen Fifties-Sixties! Made with ketchup, vinegar, scorching sauce, and spices, it’s candy, tangy, and barely spicy. The most effective half? You’ll be able to slather it on something! Toss your hen wings, glaze your grilled meats, dip some shrimp, or drizzle it over French fries and different fried meals. Mumbo sauce provides a singular taste punch that locals adore. You’ll perceive the hype when you give it a attempt!
And why go home made? Properly, with home made mumbo sauce, you’re the boss of taste. Tweak the spices, sweetness, and tanginess to your liking. I do know you’re going to like it as a lot as I do! Mumbo sauce is like barbecue sauce with just a little further pizzazz, and it’ll improve something you set it on!
Mumbo Sauce Substances
You’ll discover a whole lot of variations of this red-orange sauce, however that is how I prefer to make it. Be happy to regulate the flavour to your liking! In case you’re in search of measurements, they’ll all be discovered beneath within the recipe card.
- Ketchup: Provides the sauce a candy and tangy base. In case you’re out of ketchup, tomato sauce or tomato paste combined with a contact of sugar will work as substitutes.
- White Vinegar: Vinegar provides a pleasing tanginess to the sauce! It brings a refined acidity that cuts by the richness and enhances the sweetness.
- Soy Sauce: This umami-packed sauce contributes depth and richness to the mumbo sauce. In case you’re in search of a substitute, Worcestershire sauce will also be used, though it might alter the style barely.
- Frank’s Sizzling Sauce: This provides a kick of spice that balances out the sweetness and the tanginess of the mumbo sauce. Alter accordingly for those who don’t need your sauce to be too scorching.
- Brown Sugar or Granulated Sugar: The candy element of the mumbo sauce comes from brown sugar or granulated sugar. Use no matter you will have readily available! I personally like utilizing brown sugar due to the refined smoky however candy taste that it provides!
- Smoked Paprika or Cayenne Pepper: The selection between smoked paprika or cayenne pepper depends upon the extent of smokiness and warmth you need. Smoked paprika brings a refined smoky taste, whereas cayenne pepper supplies a spicier kick.
- Salt (if wanted): A pinch of salt can assist improve the general flavors of the mumbo sauce. Style the sauce earlier than including salt to find out if it’s essential.
- Water (if wanted): Water is used to regulate the consistency of the sauce. In case you discover the sauce to be too thick, regularly add water to attain the specified thickness.
Tips on how to Make Mumbo Sauce
It’s tremendous straightforward and takes lower than 10 minutes from begin to end. Since mumbo sauce makes use of a whole lot of easy substances and can be easy to make, you may whip up a batch everytime you need to add further taste to your favourite meals! Considered one of my favourite methods to make use of it’s over fried hen.
- Mix Substances: In a medium saucepan, add the ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, scorching sauce, sugar, and paprika.
- Combine: Whisk collectively and warmth over medium warmth for 2-3 minutes to permit the substances to mix collectively.
- Cool and Serve: Take away from the warmth and permit to chill earlier than serving. Get pleasure from as a dipping sauce or glaze!
Suggestions and Variations
Home made sauces are my favourite as a result of you may customise them nevertheless you want. Plus, they’re freed from components and preservatives, and simply style higher general!
- Let it Chill: Persistence pays off! Whip it up a day forward and let it chill within the fridge in a single day so the flavors meld collectively.
- Swap Up the Consistency: Need a thicker sauce? Simmer it on low warmth for a tad longer, letting it scale back and thicken. Want it a bit runnier? Regularly add water till it reaches your required consistency.
- Use For: Mumbo sauce isn’t only for dipping. It’s so versatile! Use it as a glaze for grilled pork or ribs, a marinade for hen, or a selection for burgers and sandwiches.
- Additional Taste: The traditional recipe is a winner, however why not add your individual twist? Add minced garlic, a touch of ginger, a drizzle of honey, or a splash of lemon juice for an additional taste punch.
Like barbecue sauce, this condiment is tremendous versatile and goes with so many alternative dishes. Utilizing it with meats is a no brainer, and an effective way so as to add taste and assist tenderize issues like grilled hen! I really like that it doubles as a sauce and a marinade! Mumbo sauce can be nice for dipping, so get these French fries, onion rings, egg rolls, you title it, able to go!
How Lengthy Does it Final?
So long as it’s in an hermetic container or jar, your home made mumbo sauce ought to keep good for every week or two within the fridge. The substances might settle because it sits, so give it a fast combine earlier than you utilize it. In case you’re in search of a simple recipe to make use of it with, attempt these air fryer fried hen wings!
In a medium saucepan, add the ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, scorching sauce, sugar, and paprika.
Whisk collectively and warmth over medium warmth for 2-3 minutes to permit the substances to mix collectively.
Take away from the warmth and permit to chill earlier than serving. Get pleasure from as a dipping sauce or glaze!
Serving2tablespoonsEnergy37kcal (2%)Carbohydrates9g (3%)Protein1g (2%)Fats0.1gSaturated Fats0.01gPolyunsaturated Fats0.04gMonounsaturated Fats0.01gSodium455mg (19%)Potassium66mg (2%)Fiber0.2g (1%)Sugar8g (9%)Vitamin A292IU (6%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium8mg (1%)Iron0.3mg (2%)
All dietary data relies on third occasion calculations and is simply an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will differ relying on the manufacturers you utilize, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.