Stuffed with taste and ideal for making forward, this do-it-yourself candy potato casserole will steal the present at your subsequent vacation meal. Crunchy candy brown sugar pecan crumble covers each chunk of this buttery candy potato mash. After your first forkful, you’ll already be desirous about going for seconds!
Aspect dishes are, indisputably, the perfect a part of a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Don’t get me improper—I really like my Thanksgiving pies. However we’re speaking creamy from-scratch inexperienced bean casserole, flaky tender dinner rolls, and flavorful cornbread stuffing.
Right now’s recipe for do-it-yourself candy potato casserole is a household favourite. Get pleasure from a easy and creamy candy potato mash topped with a crunchy, toasty, praline-esque pecan topping. As a result of it’s a bit candy, I wish to serve this casserole with a sprinkle of sea salt and a few savory contemporary thyme or rosemary. A stunning stability of texture and taste!
Why You’ll Love This Candy Potato Casserole Recipe
- Creamy + crunchy = great contrasting textures in each chunk
- Buttery candy potato mash with a touch of vanilla
- Cinnamon-spiced brown sugar pecan topping
- Candy + salty—a decadent approach to get your vitamin A!
- You possibly can conveniently prep it a pair days upfront
One reader commented: “Very straightforward to make and was a giant hit at Thanksgiving! Ready the potatoes and topping the night time earlier than so was a fast dish to place collectively and bake on the day. The pecan topping and candy potatoes collectively have been divine! ★★★★★“
10 Elements in This Thanksgiving Aspect Dish
- Candy Potatoes: You want 2 kilos (908g) for this casserole, which is 3 further massive candy potatoes or 5 small/medium candy potatoes. Don’t go overboard on the potatoes as a result of the mash will find yourself tasting heavy and dense.
- Butter: For unparalleled buttery taste.
- Brown Sugar: I choose darkish brown sugar on this casserole, however mild works too. You’ll use some in each the candy potato mash and the pecan crumble topping.
- Eggs: For construction—they flip this right into a casserole, somewhat than a pile of mashed candy potatoes.
- Half-and-half: Half-and-half retains this dish further creamy. When you have heavy cream available on your different cooking and baking wants (like whipped cream & pumpkin pie), you need to use that as a substitute.
- Vanilla extract: For only a trace of delicate, fragrant taste.
- Salt: Brings out all of the flavors, and balances the sweetness.
- Flour: Provides construction to the crumbly topping.
- Cinnamon: Enhances each the candy potato and pecan flavors.
- Pecans: Buttery, nutty pecans are the jewels within the candy potato casserole crown!
Plus, ending touches like thyme or rosemary and a sprinkle of sea salt spherical out the whole dish. One reader commented: “The contemporary rosemary and sea salt made it…*chef’s kiss*. ★★★★★“
Boil & Mash the Candy Potatoes
Begin by peeling the candy potatoes with a vegetable peeler. Boil them in a big pot of water till they’re good and tender. Allow them to cool for about quarter-hour, after which mash. You should utilize a potato masher and a few arm muscle for this, however I often simply use my mixer. As soon as they’re as easy as you’d like (be at liberty to go away some chunks should you choose them that manner!), beat within the eggs, brown sugar, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. These are all of the elements you want for the candy potato layer.
FAQ: Can I Use Yams As a substitute of Candy Potatoes in This Casserole?
For the perfect style and texture, I like to recommend utilizing candy potatoes as a substitute of yams.
The names of those two starchy root greens are sometimes used interchangeably, however they’re really completely different, and originate from completely different continents. Native to Central and South America, candy potatoes sometimes have orange flesh and a pinkish-brown pores and skin, and are sweeter and creamier in texture when cooked. Native to Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean, true yams have white flesh and a bark-like pores and skin, with a drier, starchier texture—extra like an everyday baking potato.
You would, nonetheless, use purple candy potatoes if you will discover them!
Simple Crunchy Pecan Topping
We’re ending this candy potato casserole with a scrumptious crumbly, praline-esque pecan topping. The crunchy texture contrasts so superbly with the creamy, buttery candy potato mash. It comes collectively shortly and simply, and makes use of a few of the similar elements because the candy potato layer.
Can I Use Marshmallows on This Candy Potato Casserole?
Sure. When you love marshmallows in your candy potato casserole, you may definitely add them. I wouldn’t go away off the pecan topping, although. (You’ll actually miss that texture!) Add the marshmallows in direction of the top of the bake time. See recipe Observe beneath for particulars.
How you can Make Candy Potato Casserole Forward of Time
This straightforward aspect dish could be ready forward of time, which everyone knows is a complete lifesaver main as much as Thanksgiving dinner! Right here’s how one can get began:
- 1–2 days earlier than serving: Boil and mash the candy potatoes, add the remaining elements to the candy potatoes, and easy right into a baking dish. Put together the topping in a separate bowl. Cowl every individually and refrigerate for as much as 2 days.
- Day of serving: Spoon the topping over the candy potato layer and bake.
- Freezing directions: If assembled, the unbaked casserole could be frozen as much as 2 months. Take it out of the freezer and thaw in a single day within the fridge. Deliver the casserole to room temperature and bake.
Extra Thanksgiving Aspect Dish Recipes
And naturally… dessert. Listed here are our favourite Thanksgiving pie recipes, together with classics like pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pecan pie. Don’t overlook turkey pot pie for any leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
Creamy, comforting, and easy candy potato casserole with a crunchy pecan crumble on prime. Texture and flavors are spot on!
- Place the candy potatoes in a big pot or dutch oven and cowl them utterly with water. Deliver water to a boil. Cut back warmth and simmer for 20 minutes or till the potatoes are tender. Drain the water and permit the candy potatoes to chill for quarter-hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan (or an identical measurement casserole dish, or a 12-inch oven-safe skillet). Put aside.
- Place the cooked candy potatoes in a big mixing bowl. Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer, beat the potatoes till comparatively easy—I like to go away some chunks for texture. To your reference, you'll have about 4 cups of mashed candy potatoes. Add the butter, brown sugar, crushed eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, and salt. Spoon/pour the combination into ready pan.
- For the topping: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon collectively. Utilizing a silicone spatula, fold within the melted butter and pecans till the combination is completely mixed. Spoon evenly over potatoes.
- Bake for 30–40 minutes or till golden brown on prime. Permit to chill for five minutes, then prime with a bit contemporary thyme or rosemary and a sprinkle of sea salt. Serve heat.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: This can be a nice make forward recipe! Right here’s how one can get began 1–2 days earlier than: Put together candy potatoes by means of step 3, then put together the topping. Cowl every individually and refrigerate for as much as 2 days. On the day of serving, assemble and bake. Assembled, unbaked casserole could be frozen as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, carry to room temperature, and proceed with step 5. Baked casserole could be frozen as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, carry to room temperature, and bake at 350°F (177°C) till warmed by means of.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Giant Pot (equivalent to a Dutch oven) | Vegetable Peeler | 9×13-inch Baking Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand) | Whisk | Silicone Spatula
- Including Marshmallows: When you love marshmallows on prime of your candy potato casserole, you may definitely add them. Bake as directed above, however 5 minutes earlier than it’s performed, add 1 cup marshmallows on prime after which end baking.
Key phrases: candy potato casserole